Saturday, February 18, 2012

Trefusis part 2

So we've been working on my Great-grandfather Joseph Hatten Carpenter's family history research. Our family--including the three teenagers--spent last fall extracting one of the 18 volumes of family history research he left our family. We learned alot and it's been interesting and challenging to try to follow in his footsteps.

Now I'm going to try to follow in his footsteps even more. While we are in London for Who Do You Think You Are Live--the genealogy conference where Family ChartMasters will be exhibiting, Erin and I are going to strike out to do a little family history work. We are going to go looking for an estate by the name of Trefusis. Joseph wrote that this farm was the key to his unlocking his family's history and the means by which he was able to collect so much research along his Carpenter lines.

My grandfather's book shows a picture of the farm:


The book doesn't tell where the picture came from, only that it is a picture of the Trefusis farm.

In Joseph's writings, he describes the farm as being 4 miles west of Taunton, in Bradford on Tone, Somerset.

I think I've found it here:


View Larger Map

It's the little group of buildings on the left. The best picture I can get of it in Google Street View is this:

What do you think? Are we headed in the right direction?

And then there's always the genealogists way of finding it which I didn't think of until a couple of days later. Take a look at this map. Yep I think we've got it. Amazing. It is so amazing to think that my grandfather wished he could find this place for 20 year and then had to happen upon a newspaper advertisement, write to the land surveyors and such. All I did was type it into google maps. Wow.

No comments: